Madras Diocese is one of the oldest diocese and the mother diocese of Church of
South India. The diocesan history starts from the arrival of the first chaplain
of the East India Company in 1647 and the dedication of St.Mary's church in the
Fort St.George in 1680.
Nearly 155 years after the dedication of the oldest Church on the east of the Suez
Canal,the first Bishop, Daniel Corrie was consecrated and installed as Bishop of
the Madras Diocese.